It is natural for jewellery to tarnish, blacken or discolour over time, particularly if the piece is worn regularly. Tarnish is caused by several factors which include:
- Exposure to moisture, humidity, sunlight and oxygen.
- Acidity (ph balance) of a person’s skin, which in turn is affected, for example, by diet, medication and stress.
- Exposure to perfume, soap, moisturiser, shampoo etc. and cleaning products such as dishwashing liquid and bleach.
- Exposure to chlorine.
We advise against:
- Swimming, showering or undertaking vigorous exercise while wearing jewellery.
- Exposing jewellery to cleaning agents or cosmetics such as foundations, perfumes, hairsprays.
- Exposing jewellery to excessive heat or prolonged periods of direct sunlight.
- Use of commercial silver ‘dip’ solutions as they are unsuitable for cleaning hollow, oxidised, stone-set, pearl or plated jewellery and can cause surface deterioration.
- Wearing delicate jewellery on more than an occasional basis.